The Liebster Award is something given from blogger to blogger, with those of less than 200 followers, as an excuse to tell more about yourself and all that craziness. You get to answer questions, you get to ask questions, fun, fun, fun!
Also, with the Liebster you are supposed to list 11 facts about yourself, but Cari also tagged me for Five Things, which is tell five facts about yourself, and ask five others to do so. That seems more reasonable to someone prone to laziness and procrastination, so I'm playing by her rules. Rebel.
Five Things About Little Ol' Me
1. By the numbers: Been married almost 19 years, lived in 4 states, 6 cities, 14 homes in that time. Had 6 babies in 6 different cities. I guess I drop a baby everywhere we go.
2. Stole this from Cari's list, except I didn't see a guy with no face: We had a red VW microbus growing up, and my seat was the hatch. I absolutely loved it, and never discovered there was anything unusual about that until about a year ago. Also, the side door didn't work, so my brothers and I all went in through the front passenger door and hopped our way back.
3. I had children in the exact same gender order as my mom did: three boys, two girls, baby boy. Odd!
4. I have never, ever, ever had a pedicure or a manicure, either professional or for fun by a friend. I honesty cannot stand for anyone to touch my feet, and I believe my fingernails are actually deformed. Some kind of real birth defect. What's more? Can't say it's ever bothered me.
5. Absolutely all of my selfish inspired daydreams involve walking somewhere. I want to walk the Appalachian Trail, walk across England, walk across Ireland, and walk from Rome to the Holy Land, and run the Athens Marathon.
Exhale. Yuck. I'm incredibly boring.
Now, for Laura's questions:
1. What is your favorite book: Okay, this is nearly impossible for me, you can check the tab up top that says "10 books", but if you were holding my family hostage until I could name just one I would probably say Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis, not because it is really "favorite" but because it has meant the most to me for the longest. But if you were just holding Jude hostage, it would take me a really long time to answer.
2. Favorite movie: Romeo and Juliet, the Franco Zeferrelli one. What?
3. Finish this sentence: "What I really want to know is..." how the heck do people fold things neatly? I have been refolding closets all weekend because we might be showing our home (shshshsh) and I cannot accomplish this. Seriously, I could never get a mall job.
4. Big influence on you while growing up: One of the big ones was visiting our generations old summer place every year. Having a place where our family did nothing but play, daydream, read, and inhale nature defined my childhood's happiness.
5. If money were no object, what kind of house would you have: tiny cottage on either Gulf of Mexico or Lake Michigan.
6. Name a book on your shelf you can't get around to finishing: Witness to Hope: Biography of John Paul II by George Weigel. I sooo want to hold the knowledge that this book contains, I don't want to do the work to get there.
7. Favorite Quote: "He who hurries across the sea change only the sky, not their state of being." -Horace. Obi and I have done a whole lot of hurrying across the sea.
8. Something you could do over differently if you could: I would most definitely NOT have eaten up all the kids' stocking candy at Christmas when they weren't looking.
9. Something you would never do differently: All the big life choices Obi and I have made together. Not a single one of 'em.
10. Blog you've recently started following: The Loveliest Hour by Lauren
11. Blog you've been following the longest: I have to Sit Down by Simcha Fisher.
Here are Cari's questions:
1. When you were little, who did you want to marry: Remington Steele. No, not Pierce Brosnan, not the con-man that is assuming the false identity of Remington Steele, but Remington Steele. Hey, it was little kid logic!
2. What's the most out of character piece of clothing you own? I was given a beautiful, authentic, vintage, silk kimono by my in-laws that I just can't bring myself to wear. I have almost given it away time and again, but then I try it on, think it looks intriguing, and put it back in the closet.
4. Sandals that go between the toes, flip flops or thongs? I had to ask Obi if people actually called flip flops thongs. He said, "Yes, it's a technical term." Technical for something else in my book.
5. In a mash-up between a fisher cat and a medium sized squid, who would win and why? Ignorant of both, I turned to an expert for this one, Isaac. Here is his response: "quid." Why? He just waved his arms around, undoubtedly imitating a squid thrashing the fisher cat to and fro, immune to its useless attempts to brandish either claw or tooth amidst the juggled pounding.
6. Do you like Monty Python? I love Monty Python because it means to me lying in a blanket, curled up on our toy room floor, my dad sitting in his chair, eyes on a book whose pages he is strumming with his thumb, his beer or wine beside him, chuckling his silent chuckle as evidenced only by the movement of his chest.
7. If not, what's wrong with you, be detailed please: Exempt!
8. Which do you think will happen first, personal jet packs or teleportation? Are you trying to say, Cari, you live in an alternate universe where these don't exist?
9. Chocolate chip cookies, with nuts or without: all time favorite cookie, chocolate chip oatmeal WALNUT to answer your question.
10. Why won't my kids go to sleep already: I honestly believe, Cari, that they are so wired up from running from zombies that their imaginations just aren't ready to quit for the day.
Yeah! Tasks such as above are magnificently hard for me! Now for my nominees:
Please forgive if you have already been nominated / tagged, or if you have over 200 followers, or if this just ain't your thang.
Here are your instructions, I am nominating you for the Leibster and tagging you for Five Things.
1. Tell five (or eleven) things about yourself most people don't know.
2. Answer my questions (below).
3. Tag / nominate five (or nine) others with 200 or less followers.
4. Ask them your own new questions.
5. Have fun!
Here are my questions for them:
1. What is your very first memory, even one people deny you can actually remember?
2. What is a talent of yours you feel others underestimate?
3. What fictional character would you like to spend an afternoon with?
4. Kirk or Picard?
5. What song can you not stop listening to right now?
6. What day in your past would you like to relive?
7. When you were little, what did you enjoy telling people that you wanted to be when you grew up?
8. What advice would you give yourself as a first time mother?
9. What is your most looked forward to moment of the day?
10. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Oh, I enjoyed that! My special thanks to absolutely anyone who read all of that! Cheaters who just skimmed, you too hold a special place in my heart, because I am your kindred. I think I just skimmed it.